This class builds upon concepts introduced in the Intro to Sailing class. Students refine their sailing skills while learning how to properly trim sails for various conditions and angles to the wind. This is a nine-hour class split into three lessons held on three consecutive days (For Example: Tue, Wed & Thur). Important safety skills taught in the class, including how to right a capsized boat and to prepare the student for sailing independently.
***Note: Successful completion of this course automatically qualifies you to rent a boat during our weekend rental hours.***
Click for Available Sessions
Intro to Sailing
$205 per person (3 classes)
- Understanding GBSP safety rules and emergency procedures
- Proper fitting and adjustment of a Personal Floatation Device (PDF)
- Sail Shape
- Adjustment of downhaul for wind conditions
- Purpose and function of battens
- “Reading” air flow over a sail using telltales
- Adjusting sail trim for wind conditions and wind angle
- Managing sail shape with distractions
- Basic safety (boat safety checklist, VHF basics)
- Safety Skills
- Basic safety considerations
- Weather and wave considerations before leaving shore
- Man overboard drill
- Avoiding capsize under heavy wind conditions
- Righting a capsized boat
- Navigating on the Water
- Right of Way rules
- Understanding navigation buoys
- Steering toward a point on shore
- Daily review of skills
What to bring:
- Face mask or buff to wear while on shore or while in close contact with others on the water
- Old tennis shoes or water shoes are required to be worn at all times to protect your feet.
- A completed & signed waiver
- Eyeglasses or sunglasses holder strap cord
- Swimming suit
- Dry clothes
- Water bottle full of water/ beverage
- We provide life jackets however, students may bring their own if they wish. (All privately owned life jackets are subject to inspection and approval of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Staff)
South Bay Marina
101 Bay Beach Road
Green Bay, WI, 54302
The marina is at the west end of Bay Beach Rd, past the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. To find SOUTH BAY, take HWY I-43 to exit #187 (Webster Ave), go north to Irwin St. and take a left on Irwin, which then turns into Bay Beach Rd. We are the last entrance on the right. Look for the SOUTH BAY Marina sign.
When you enter the marina follow the signs that say Green Bay Sail & Paddle.
Classes may be canceled and/or rescheduled at the discretion of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. (“GBSP”) due to weather conditions and/or general concern of the participants and/or any and all Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. staff and volunteers. Classes that do not meet the minimum number of registrants may be rescheduled. GBSP will attempt to notify all registrants by email and/or telephone of cancellations 24 to 48 hours prior to commencement.
For the safety of everyone, we ask that if you have or had a fever in the past 48 hours that you do not come to class. We will do our best to reschedule you to a later class. Every participant must wear a mask or buff while on shore, and social distancing recommendations must be followed. You may be asked to leave if you do not abide by these safety guidelines. Refunds will not be given to any participant for failure to comply with any and all safety guidelines.