The Basic Sailing 2 class allows students to practice and further develop their sailing skills under the watchful eye of their instructor. At the start of each session, the instructor reviews topics based upon the coaching needs of each individual student. The goal of this course is to prepare students to sail independently. This is a nine-hour class split into three lessons held on three consecutive days (Tue, Wed & Thur).
Click for Available Sessions
Basic Sailing 1 (Preferred)
$205 per person (3 classes)
- Understanding GBSP safety rules and emergency procedures
- Proper fitting and adjustment of a Personal Floatation Device (PDF)
- Safety discussion on stepping a mast
- Raising the mast and adjusting shrouds on the boat
- Simple wind indicator using a piece of yarn tied to bridle
- Sailing up to another boat and stopping & sailing up to a stationary item
- Safety considerations when sailing in heavy wind
- Observing wind puffs on the water surface
- Adjusting and steering in wind gusts
- Adjusting and steering for wind shifts
- Safety considerations when sailing in a large fleet
- Right of way, rules of the road
- Racing (subject to student interest and ability)
- Introduction to racing – sample skipper’s meeting
- Starting signals and horns
- Finishing signals and horns
- Other race signals and horns
- Short windward/leeward races
- Daily review of skills
What to bring:
- Face mask or buff to wear while on shore or while in close contact with others on the water
- Old tennis shoes or water shoes are required to be worn at all times to protect your feet.
- A completed & signed waiver
- Eyeglasses or sunglasses holder strap cord
- Swimming suit
- Dry clothes
- Water bottle full of water/ beverage
- GBSP provides life jackets however, students may bring their own if they wish! (All privately owned life jackets are subject to inspection and approval of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Staff)
South Bay Marina
101 Bay Beach Road
Green Bay, WI, 54302
The marina is at the west end of Bay Beach Rd, past the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. To find SOUTH BAY, take HWY I-43 to exit #187 (Webster Ave), go north to Irwin St. and take a left on Irwin, which then turns into Bay Beach Rd. We are the last entrance on the right. Look for the SOUTH BAY Marina sign.
When you enter the marina follow the signs that say Green Bay Sail & Paddle.
Classes may be canceled and/or rescheduled at the discretion of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. (“GBSP”) due to weather conditions and/or general concern of the participants and/or any and all Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. staff and volunteers. Classes that do not meet the minimum number of registrants may be rescheduled. GBSP will attempt to notify all registrants by email and/or telephone of cancellations 24 to 48 hours prior to commencement.
For the safety of everyone, we ask that if you have or had a fever in the past 48 hours that you do not come to class. We will do our best to reschedule you to a later class. Every participant must wear a mask or buff while on shore, and social distancing recommendations must be followed. You may be asked to leave if you do not abide by these safety guidelines. Refunds will not be given to any participant for failure to comply with any and all safety guidelines.