The Basic Sailing 2 class allows students to practice and further develop their sailing skills under the watchful eye of their instructor. At the start of each session, the instructor reviews topics based upon the coaching needs of each individual student. The goal of this course is to prepare students to sail independently. This ia a nine-hour class split into three lessons held on three consecutive days (Tue, Wed & Thur). The class is provisioned for two students per sailboat.
Basic Sailing 1 (Preferred)
$135 per person (3 classes)
- Understanding GBSP safety rules and emergency procedures
- Proper fitting and adjustment of a Personal Floatation Device (PDF)
- Safety discussion on stepping a mast
- Raising the mast and adjusting shrouds on the boat
- Simple wind indicator using a piece of yarn tied to bridle
- Sailing up to another boat & dock
- Safety considerations when sailing in heavy wind
- Observing wind puffs on the water surface
- Adjusting steering for wind shifts
- Safety considerations when sailing in a large fleet
- Right of way, rules of the road
- Racing (subject to student interest and ability)
- Introduction to racing – sample skipper’s meeting
- Starting signals and horns
- Finishing signals and horns
- Other race signals and horns
- Short windward/leeward races
- Daily review of skills
What to bring:
- Old tennis shoes or water shoes are required to be worn at all times to protect your feet.
- A completed & signed waiver
- Swimming suit
- Dry clothes
- Water bottle full of water/ beverage
- GBSP provides life jackets however, students may bring their own if they wish! (All privately owned lifejackets are subject to inspection and approval of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Staff)
South Bay Marina
101 Bay Beach Road
Green Bay, WI, 54302
The marina is at the west end of Bay Beach Rd, past the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. To find SOUTH BAY, take HWY I-43 to exit #187 (Webster Ave), go north to Irwin St. and take a left on Irwin, which then turns into Bay Beach Rd. We are the last entrance on the right. Look for the SOUTH BAY Marina sign.
When you enter the marina follow the signs that say Green Bay Sail & Paddle.