This is a fun, introductory sailing session using a "quick-start" method of learning to sail Hobie® Wave catamarans. In a short period of time students, ages 8 to 99, participating in our introductory sailing lesson are out on the waters of Green Bay sailing on their own. On days where there is no wind, you may have the opportunity to experience kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding. For those days when our staff has to make the decision that the weather outside simply isn't safe to be on the water your class will be moved into our indoor classroom where you will enjoy several sailing related activities. We encourage individual growth by challenging one’s self all while fostering a love for the water and sailing. We look forward to enjoying a fun and safe day on the water with you!
Please note that there may be a huge variance in ages during these classes. Generally, the morning classes have younger students and the evening classes have adults. If you have children under the age of 8 you may want to consider our Family Night. Please contact us prior to registering for Family Night classes if you have children under the age of 8.
We offer adaptive programming with the goal of creating opportunities for people of all abilities. Contact us to see how we can provide the appropriate accommodations for you, your child, or organization.
Click for Available Sessions
$55 per person
- Understanding GBSP safety rules and emergency procedures
- Proper fitting and adjustment of a Personal Floatation Device (PDF)
- Staying protected from the sun
- Appropriate use of safety whistle
- Signal to return to beach
- Understanding what to do if boat capsizes
- Understanding hazards to avoid in the instruction area
- Wind direction and sailing angles to the wind
- Understanding how buoys will be used during instruction
- Weight placement – where to sit on the boat
- Leaving the beach
- Steering with the tiller
- Sailing upwind, on a reach
- Gybing and tacking
- Sailing a figure eight
- Recovering from irons
- Sailing between two (2) buoys upwind doing multiple tacks
- Sailing a triangular course
- Avoiding collisions
- Sailing back to beach
- How everyday plastics and other garbage ends up in out water ways
- Enjoying sailing with others!!!
There may be financial assistance available through our scholarship program. For more information on our scholarship program or to apply for financial assistance through our scholarship program please click here.
What to bring:
- Old tennis shoes or water shoes are required to be worn at all times to protect your feet.
- A completed & signed waiver
- Eyeglasses or sunglasses holder strap cord
- Swimming suit
- Dry clothes
- Water bottle full of water/ beverage
- We provide life jackets however, students may bring their own if they wish. (All privately owned life jackets are subject to inspection and approval of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Staff)
South Bay Marina
101 Bay Beach Road
Green Bay, WI, 54302
The marina is at the west end of Bay Beach Rd, past the Zippin Pippin roller coaster. To find SOUTH BAY, take HWY I-43 to exit #187 (Webster Ave), go north to Irwin St. and take a left on Irwin which then turns into Bay Beach Rd. We are the last entrance on the right. Look for the SOUTH BAY Marina sign.
When you enter the marina follow the signs that say Green Bay Sail & Paddle.
Classes may be canceled and/or rescheduled at the discretion of Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. (“GBSP”) due to weather conditions and/or general concern of the participants and/or any and all Green Bay Sail & Paddle Inc. staff and volunteers. Classes that do not meet the minimum number of registrants may be rescheduled. GBSP will attempt to notify all registrants by email and/or telephone of cancellations 24 to 48 hours prior to commencement.
For the safety of everyone, we ask that if you have or had a fever in the past 48 hours that you do not come to class. We will do our best to reschedule you to a later class. Every participant must wear a mask or buff while on shore, and social distancing recommendations must be followed. You may be asked to leave if you do not abide by these safety guidelines. Refunds will not be given to any participant for failure to comply with any and all safety guidelines.